June 27, 2008
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
Test The New iGoogle, Google's Personalized Home Page
Google Operating System reported that Google said they are launching the new iGoogle design, named "canvas view," to a limited set of users. What is new in this version and design?...
Google Improves Search For Blackberry Devices
Google has brought more of "universal search" to the Blackberry and enhanced its display and presentation of search results in several ways....
Search In Pictures: Yahoo Volleyball & Casinos, Pamela Fox of Google, & Ask Productivity
In this week's Search In Pictures, here are the latest images culled from the web, showing what people eat at the search engine companies, how they play, who they meet, where they speak, what toys they have, and more....
SEM News, Conversion Tracking Tools & A Close-up Look At SearchREv
In The Trenches is a weekly spotlight of tips, tricks, and news about the tools search engine marketing professionals use to give them a leg up on the competition. Today: News from the search engines, today's in-depth look, "Tracking Your Conversions on the Engines" and this week's free tips...
Google Searchers Love The iPhone
comScore released statistics that showed the Google searcher is practically in love with the Apple iPhone. In fact, they found that 1.3 million searchers conducted 6.9 million searches for iPhone-related search terms in April 2008 alone. Of those 6.9 million searches, 88.4 percent came from Google, which is 33 percent...
Human Hardware: The Paradox of Choice
In the last few years, there have been two best selling books published that seem diametrically and philosophically opposed: The Paradox of Choice by Barry Schwartz and The Long Tail by Chris Anderson. Both explore the explosion of choice that we have in our modern world and how we...
Search Biz: Yahoo Reorgs Again, Google Not Slowing Down At 10, Microsoft Buying Powerset?
There are two views of the just-announced Yahoo reorganization. An upbeat assessment sees it as an instrumental step toward realizing Yahoo's broad platform ambitions; a more skeptical perspective sees it as yet another run at streamlining the organization in the wake of the upheavals of the failed Microsoft acquisition bid...
Google Looking At Multiple Previous Queries To Tailor Search Ads
Saul Hansell from the New York Times reported on an interesting discover that uncovered that Google may look at more than just your previous query to tailor the ads you see on the search page. Now, Google may look back several past queries to tailor your search ads. Yes, this...
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Pomoc Google: Google Answers for Poland, Google Blogoscoped
- Updates and Bug Fixes for June 26th, Blogger in Draft
- Google spent $620,000 lobbying in 1Q, Forbes
- IAC to reap over $1.5 bln from spinoffs, Reuters
- Microsoft To Buy Powerset? Not Just Yet., TechCrunch
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Happy First Birthday to Google Earth Outreach, Google LatLong
- New Google search results pages for BlackBerry users, Official Google Mobile Blog
- Among the "Top 50" Many Local Sites, Screenwerk
- An easier way to get started with Google Mobile, Official Google Mobile Blog
- Mapping the Northern California wildfires, Google LatLong
- Links Are the New Lotto Ticket, SEO Book
- Small Business Link Building: Part A - Analysing Opportunities, SEOmoz
Paid Search & Contextual
- (Ad)Word of the Day: Ad Variations, Inside AdWords
- 3-Minute Drill, Yahoo! Search Marketing Blog
- Celebrating 50,000 of you, Inside AdSense
- Google Adds Two New AdSense Representatives to Google Groups Support, Search Engine Roundtable
- Yahoo Finally Kills Overture's Keyword Suggestion Tool?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Antique roads-show: Google Book Search edition, Inside Google Book Search
- Yahoo SearchMonkey Example from SEOmoz Member, SEOish
- Government Search Engine Expands With Vivisimo, InformationWeek
- Google Leads the table in helping out webmasters, Search Engine Genie
- My Salute to the Women of SEO / Search, The SEO Scoop
SEO & SEM
- The Definitive Local Search Rankings Document, Search Engine Guide
- Creative Messaging in a Direct Response World, Search Engine Watch
- Google Moves Crawl Stats Charts to Statistics Section in Webmaster Tools, Search Engine Roundtable
- SEO Basics: Effective Iterative Keyword Research in 2008, Search Engine Watch
- Whiteboard Friday - Stealth Reputation Management with Will Critchlow, SEOmoz
Video, Music & Image Search
- Digging Deeper::Online Video Ads Finally Find Their Niche, PBS
- Google Employees Even Get Japanese Space Toilets, TechCrunch
- Maud Newton: Professor Busted For "Pussy" Search, gawker.com
- June 24, 2008: Google Launches Ad Planner; Map Maker To Fill In World , Daily SearchCast
- June 25, 2008: Will GooHoo Happen? Does Google Know Too Much? , Daily SearchCast
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Conspiracy Theory: Google Using the Bookmark Data Stream
- How To Use Your Words Online
- Google Local Business Center: Local Search Engine Optimisation
- Let's Pool Together to Buy .SEO & .SEM TLDs
- Not Everyone Thinks Google is the Greatest Company to Work For
- Good news: new domain extensions available
- 16 Things to Look for in a Website Health Check
- Free Tool For Google Malware & Phishing Blacklists
- Building Link Targeted Content That Works: Step 3 of 3 - Launching, Monitoring & After Care
- Geeks Are Still Relevant In Modern SEO
- Twellow.com : Directory of Twitter Users
- Twellow: The First Twitter Directory Launched in Alpha
- 10 Things My Wife and Twitter Have In Common: Humor 2.0
- How to Move to a New Domain With Minimal Ranking Loss and Downtime
- Advanced SEO is Traditional White Hat SEO
- Advanced SEO: Siloing Content