SearchCap: The Day In Search, September 11, 2008
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
BlackBerry Mobile Bonanza: Microsoft Launches Live Search, Google Introduces New Search Client & AOL Launches MapQuest 4 Mobile
At the CTIA wireless trade show today Microsoft announced an extension of its existing relationship with BlackBerry maker RIM. Previously Microsoft released special versions of Windows Live Messenger and Windows Live Hotmail for the BlackBerry. The Live Search downloadable client was also available for Blackberry. However today the company announced...
SEM Company, iProspect Acquires Range Online Media
Search Marketing company consolidation continues with iProspect acquiring Range Online Media today. This acquisition increases iProspect's US staff base by more than 60 employees, bringing the them to a U.S. employee base to over 230. How will this impact the respective client's accounts? The current Range customers will continue to...
The Future Of Search: Your Best Friend With All The Answers
The future of search by Google's Marissa Mayer, VP, Search Products & User Experience, discusses what she thinks the next ten years of search holds. I think she summed it up incredibly well in her last paragraph: So what's our straightforward definition of the ideal search engine? Your best friend...
Marketing Video Via Paid Search
In my past columns, I’ve written a lot about strategies to get search engine spiders to index and rank video in the natural results. Often, this takes some work and some waiting for the crawlers to get around to your site. But what if you have a video that’s...
Evaluating Google's Response To Mapspam Reports
Yesterday marked the two-month anniversary for the official "Report Spam on Google Maps" thread on the Google Maps Help Group. I thought it might be useful to review the instances of spam reported thus far, for insights into some of Google Maps' vulnerabilities and the implications for local business...
Google Answers On Image Search, Sitelinks, Reinclusions, Redirects & Communication
The Google Webmaster Central blog documented five new Google Group posts, based on the Popular Picks thread, asking webmasters for questions they want answered. So Google answered five of the most popular questions. The answers are on image search ranking, Sitelinks, reconsideration requests, redirects and communication. I am not going...
Stop the Confusion! Use SEO Terms Correctly
We have a problem in the search marketing industry, and it's getting big enough to potentially threaten our livelihoods. The problem is especially dangerous in that customers seeking out SEO services are more confused than ever, which is unfortunate since SEO is no longer a new industry. A big...
A Call to BtoB Marketers — Integrate Search Now!
Regular readers of Strictly Business undoubtedly know that search marketing does not happen in a vacuum. Instead, it both impacts, and is impacted by, other forms of marketing. In fact, search has the inherent ability to both capture the demand created by other marketing channels, as well as to...
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- New email upload in Picasa Web Albums, Google Photos Blog
- AOL tries again in Chinese, without a '.cn' domain, News.com
- David Filo: No browser for Yahoo, News.com
- Google News in Malayalam, Google News Blog
- New in Labs: Reply add-ons, Official Gmail Blog
- Table of Contents, Dictionary and Thesaurus in Google Docs, Google Operating System
- Time Warner Warns That AOL May Miss Revenue Targets Due To Ad Slowdown, paidContent.org
- Yahoo Opens Itself Up Tomorrow - Literally, AllThingsD
- Cuil's VP Product Bails Out A Month After Launch, TechCrunch
- DMV.org Hit With SEO-Degrading Injunction--TrafficSchool.com v. eDriver, Eric Goldman
- The Queen gives an audience to YouTube owner Google, The Guardian
- Trustbusters divided on next move on Google, News.com
Local, Maps & Mobile
- More transit agencies get on board, Google LatLong
- App stores and APIs: It's the ecosystem, stupid, Mobile Opportunity
- Formula 1 Grand Prix and Virtual Earth, Virtual Earth, An Evangelist's Blog
- https://secure.google.maps, Official Google Enterprise Blog
- You wanted other map types in the Static Maps API? You got it!, Google Geo Developers Blog
- Headsmacking Tip #7 - Enforce Link Attribution for Your Work, SEOmoz
- How to Evaluate a Link Development Firm, SEO Speedwagon
- How to Find the Best Pages for Link Building, Search Engine Roundtable
Paid Search & Contextual
- Getting Started with adCenter: Ads - adCenter Blog for Advertisers, adcentercommunity.com
- AdWords system maintenance on September 13th, Inside AdWords
- Set Your Geotargeting Radius Target No Less Than 20 Miles, Says Google, Search Engine Roundtable
- Seth MacFarlane's AdSense Cartoons Now Available, Google Blogoscoped
- What does the AdWords Change to the "Top Position" Formula mean to you?, bg Theory, LLC
- When is Yahoo Search Marketing Releasing a Desktop Editor?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Everything You Should Know About Dmoz, Search Engine Journal
- Just the FAQ on People Seach Engine iSearch, altsearchengines.com
- Semantic Advertising = Long Tail Monetization, Hakia Blog
- Change How You Think About Your Life and Company, Search Engine Watch
- When This Industry Is One Of The Helping Professions, Search Engine Guide
SEO & SEM
- A Compatible E-Commerce Solution for Your SEO Campaign, Search Engine Guide
- Google and the SEO Benefits of Affiliate Tracking Links, Search Engine Journal
- Google Sitemaps Priority Is Site Specific, Not Sitemap Specific, Search Engine Roundtable
- Things That Suck, A Revolutionary Take on Brand Management, Search Engine Guide
- Why Testing Is Integral to Modern SEO, SEOmoz
- Facebook Takes Another Jab at Developers, All Facebook
- Kids, Social Networks and Parent's Responsibility, BruceClay.com
- My Top Ten List Of Fruit [Don't Sphinn This, LOL], Jaan Kanellis
Video, Music & Image Search
- YouTube Draws 5 Billion U.S. Online Video Views in July 2008, comScore
- Updated Community Guidelines, YouTube Blog
- Yahoo to open music site to other services, Yahoo! News
- YouTube-ery: Online Videos as Learning and Marketing Tools, Search Engine Watch
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- My Top Ten List Of Fruit [Don't Sphinn This, LOL]
- 44 Killer Tricks to Hunt Down Any Webmaster
- Stop the Confusion! Use SEO Terms Correctly
- Why Over 90% of All Link Requests Fail
- Why NOFOLLOW My Comments?
- ADD: The AID Of SEO
- Search Newsletter Highlights Non-A-List, Sorts Signal From Noise
- Is Tynt Stealing Site Owner’s Content & Refusing to be Blocked?
- Why Rankings Are Worthless
- How To Figure Out What Parts of Your Website Aren’t Being Crawled
- The SEO Squares [Funny Pic + Full Article]