SearchCap: The Day In Search, September 22, 2008
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
Cell Phone Triangulation Accuracy Is All Over The Map
As more local apps are being built for wireless devices like cell phones and PDAs, one major factor that could impact continued advancement of local technology on these mobile devices is accuracy of their geolocation data. To be useful, these apps must be able to identify where the cell...
Yahoo Forms New Digital Advisory Council
Yahoo has announced the formation of a new advisory council. Yahoo has named this council the Digital Advisory Council and it is made up of "industry executives from its agency and advertiser partners." The council will give Yahoo feedback on search advertiser plus digital media and online advertising. The council...
Google Announces Google Book Search APIs
The Google Book Search Blog announced the new developer site for the Google Book Search APIs. The API allows developers to add Google Book Search features to their web site. For example, you can now embed book previews, when available, to books listed on your site. For example, if you...
On Android Eve, Co-Founder Andy Rubin Predicts The Future Of Mobile
Tomorrow is widely anticipated to be the day when T-Mobile announces availability of the first Android phone. The phone is reportedly an HTC "Dream," which will apparently sell for $199 with a two year contract. Many believe the handset will resemble a Sidekick. It's fitting in a way that a...
Register Now For SMX East
Only two weeks left! Now is the time to register for Search Marketing Expo - SMX East in New York City, October 6-8. SMX East will deliver cutting-edge SEO and PPC content, prestigious keynotes, and community-building networking events for an experience like none other. Content (see the agenda); Ad...
How To Target Hispanic Searchers
As the U.S. Hispanic population continues to grow, advertisers naturally want to target this influential demographic. Search engine marketing allows advertisers to efficiently reach the Hispanic market through a number of Hispanic-focused strategies. Though it may sound obvious, the easiest way to target Hispanics is by using Spanish-language keywords (i.e.,...
Wall Street Meltdown: 11 Ways It Affects Digital Marketers
Tim O'Reilly (like me, as you'll see below) seems to believe we're in a bit of a bubble that's set to burst, even though, as he walked in to deliver his keynote at the Web 2.0 conference, the stock markets were in the middle of a rebound, vaulting up...
If You Build It SEO-Friendly, They Will Come
"So I audited the website, made all kinds of great SEO recommendations, and nothing. None of them got implemented. Not a single one." Sound familiar? This story is told all too often, at search industry events, cocktail parties and around water coolers at web-based companies everywhere. It's a story...
Google Reminds Us That It's Autumn
If you go to Google today, you may notice that the Google logo is a bit 'flaky' today. That is because today is the first day of fall. Google is reminding us that it is Autumn, just like they reminded us of the first day of Summer. Of course, the...
Setting The Stage For SMX China
Our second SMX China event kicks off tomorrow in Nanjing, China, and there's definitely some Olympic spirit that's rubbed off on this show. The conference, together with the 4th China International Software Product Expo, is the inaugural event in the brand spanking new Nanjing International Expo Center, a world-class event...
Yahoo's Poor Ad Targeting & Thoughts On Google-Yahoo
Previously, I wrote of how Yahoo's recent press day proved disappointing to me. Time for part two of that: how the Google-Yahoo ad deal is supposed to help Yahoo. Oh, it might, but not for the reasons Yahoo put out -- the idea it would somehow get advertisers it...
SMX East: What Are Your Local Questions for Google?
On day 1 of SMX East, I'll be moderating the "What’s New With Local Search Marketing?" panel. On that panel, among others, will be Eric Stein, Director of Local Markets for Google. Rather than describe the litany of standard tools and options for marketers, Eric has offered to answer my...
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- More Internal Links in Google Knol, Google Operating System
- GE Drops Google, Selects Zoho, www.webguild.org
- Alltop Launches Redesign Amid Rapid Expansion, TechCrunch
- Now, read us in gadget form, Official Google Blog
- Metamorphic Ventures Adds Ex-Googler As Managing Partner, Alley Insider
- Yahoo's New Board to Meet, Wall Street Journal
- Yahoo Should Have Sold Search To Microsoft, Alley Insider
- Google throws down open source gauntlet, BBC NEWS
- I will be joining Microsoft Research in January, Zephoria
- LiveJournal Co-Owner Buys Euroset For $1.25 Billion, blog.quintura.com
- Microsoft Plans to Buy Back $40 Billion in Shares, New York Times
- Perfect 10 v. Google on Remand, and 230 as an Affirmative Defense, Eric Goldman
- Reset: What's Next for Yahoo? (Merging With AOL? New Execs?), AllThingsD
- Why Google needs better antitrust advice, Wired
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google Maps to provide complete voter information for upcoming election, Mike Blumenthal
- Adding Live Search Maps As An Internet Explorer Search Provider, Virtual Earth, An Evangelist's Blog
- Disabling the Bird's Eye View Indicator, Virtual Earth, An Evangelist's Blog
- Google Maps Street View Offers Night Vision!, Search Engine Roundtable
- Link Building: The Future Of Relationships, SEO Book
- Build Links and Manage Reputation with your Resume, Search Engine Journal
- Link Building - SBM Unleashed, Search Engine Guide
- What's the Next Google Smackdown?, Link Building Best Practices
Paid Search & Contextual
- Is it right to search on your own site?, Inside AdSense
- Optimize for the Conversion Optimizer, AdWords Agency Blog
- My Personal AdWords Account Hacked, PPC Discussions
- PPC Bidding Strategies: Prudence vs. Aggressiveness, Search Engine Watch
- Gogimon's Search Medium Channels Google, Yahoo, Microsoft Results, eWeek
- Quintura CEO Yakov Sadchikov - The Interview, altsearchengines.com
- Bruce Clay Interview with Eric Enge, Stone Temple
- Establishing Guiding Principles at SEOmoz, SEOmoz
- Handing Over The Keys To The Blog, BruceClay.com
- Kim Krause Berg Interviews Future Now's Holly Buchanan, Cre8PC
- Think Twice Before Not Paying Your SEO Firm, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- How to Add Usability Heuristics into Your SEO Audit, Cre8PC
- Search Engine Optimization - Evolution or Extinction?, SEO Book
- A Common Sense Approach to Online Marketing - SBM Unleashed, Search Engine Guide
- Q&A: My site is all flash, can Google spider my site?, BG Theory
- Should I Submit Another Reinclusion Request?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Site Architecture - SBM Unleashed, Search Engine Guide
- Supermarkets ignoring SEO for major keywords, E-Consultancy
- Universal Search: Lessons From a Simple Board Game, Search Engine Guide
- Yahoo Search Not Listening to Redirect Rules?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Your Website from the Ground Up in 10 Steps, Stepforth
- Introducing Customize Your Community, Sugarrae
- Jay Adelson Hints That Facebook Connect Is the Future of Digg, TechCrunch
Video, Music & Image Search
- Exalead improves image search with intuitive user interface, Pandia
- Online Video Syndication Service Voxant Acquired By Anystream, paidContent.org
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: September 21, 2008, Search Engine Roundtable
- Building a future that's clean and green, Official Google Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Lisa Barone is Handing Over The Keys to the Bruce Clay Blog and Moving On
- Zaibatsu Banned From Digg
- Link Building: The Future Of Relationships
- 10 Link Bait Tips for Small Business Marketing
- Video Search Results Displaying Differently in Google
- Introducing the Customize Your Community Wordpress Plugin
- Agency v In-house v Freelance
- A Lesson to Deadbeat Clients: Why you should never, never rip off an SEO
- The Consumer and Social Media
- Top 10 Reasons I am Going to Scary SEO
- The Small (but Great) SpyFu Experiment
- Digg Bannings: Interview with Diggboss
- The Viral Marketing Glossary